Friday, August 31, 2012

It begins again

Once again, I am doing the 3-Day Novel Contest over the Labour Day Weekend. For those of you not familiar with the contest, starting at midnight tonight, and finishing Monday at midnight, I, and about umpteen thousand other people will be trying to write a short novel of approximately 100-130 pages (about 30,000 words). We then submit these novels, in whatever condition they're in, and whatever condition we are in to be judged.

There are prizes, but you don't do it for the prizes. You do it because you enjoy pain. It's the literary equivalent of a marathon, and it is a rush. Big highs, big lows. When it is going well you feel like a tiny god. When it is going poorly, you consider your failure as absolute, swear never to do this contest, or any other form of writing, ever again.

 I use this blog to update folks on my progress, track my word count, and chat with people to keep my morale up as I go.

 My novel this year is tenatively called, "The Eavesdropper". I don't care for the name, and I'm sure a better one will come.

Feel free to keep checking back. I'm happy to answer questions, and if you want to see what I've written so far, I'm always looking for honest in progress feedback.

I'll be updating later tonight as I countdown to midnight, and talk a little bit about the book and the characters and that sort of thing.

3 comments:

Cori said...

Best of luck!

I'll be offline most of Saturday and Sunday, but I'll check in as often as I can.

Andrew R said...

Good luck! I'm not participating this year, but I have many times before. It's an awesome contest. Have a great time!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys.