Sunday, November 4, 2012

Late evening

  My challenge right now is figuring out a fair word count.  I am now past new material, and to the place where I'm expanding and revising existing stuff.

Because I've written a new beginning, a lot of expository stuff could be removed from the chapter I'm working on, and that's mad it a little tricky.  As I go on, I'll simply be able to compare the old version of a chapter to the new version, and see how many words I've added, and that'll be close to fair as an idea of my new word count.

That doesn't work here, because I had to cut SO much stuff from this chapter that it would still wind up being a net loss even with the stuff I added.  So, I've been pasting new sections into a document to count the words.  All I can do to be fair.

I think I'm probably at a point now where I've got a net increase in words for the full manuscript, even after cutting the entire first chapter wholesale.  After I've worked my way through the rest of this chapter, I'll do a compile and see how it's going on that front.

By the end of this week, I expect I'll be at a place with this book where I'll be doing about 10-15,000 words of brand new material in a row, at minimum.

Expanding a novel is a lot harder than cutting it back.  I knew this to be true going in, of course.

I don't even know HOW I verify my word count with nanowrimo.org.  But I guess, even if I don't I will know what I'm doing.

Okay.  I'm gonna do one more piece here.  Theoretically, I could get caught up completely if I did another 1558 words before bed.  I think, instead, I'll spread that out over a couple of nights.

It's been a fruitful day, though.  Absolutely.

   Addendum from about a half an hour later:  I did the compile after going through the rest of this chapter and not wanting to change much of anything.  I have discovered that I wrote 5109 words today, with a net gain to my manuscript of 3704 words.

I can sleep on that okay.

No comments: