Sunday, November 11, 2012

Well. I'll keep going....

   There is next to no chance I will make my goal this November.  I'm not surprised.  November is a lousy month for me to try and set goals.  I get so stupid.  I have no idea how the 3 Day contest is a thing I can do, but to do less than half again as many words over 10 times the number of days continues to defeat me.
 
   It's served its purpose, anyhow.  I've been trying to keep super busy, and I'm certainly doing that.

   I was head down yesterday for six hours, and I wrote scarcely 1000 words.  I've been editing the book as I go, and that has turned out to be MUCH more time consuming than I thought.

  I don't mean to blow my own horn here, but my plotting, at least for the first two-thirds of the 3 Day book has turned out to be a lot tighter than I thought.  it's not easy to wedge new scenes in. 

  This has been a weird book for me.  During the 3-Day, one of the characters did something unexpected that caused me to pitch the whole outline.  This weekend I'd just gotten to the place I intended to add about 10,000 words of new material   I did add one scene, and as a result of what happened in that one scene, My protagonist felt too guilty to keep playing undercover, and decided to fuck off back to Los Angeles almost as quickly as he did originally.

 I'm now a bit unsure how I'll expand this book to a useful length, though I know some of the rushed shit is coming up, and I can expand that.  I don't think I'll be adding 50,000 word to the total anymore.  I just hope I can get it to a publishable length.

In addition to revising the 3 Day, I've been writing a comic novella based on the presidency of David Hasselhoff.  I don't know why, but it writes itself, and I think it's strong.

So I'm gonna keep writing, but I'm under no delusions that I'll finish my 50k.

There's no shame in it.  I should have known better than to revise rather than just do something new.

The truth is, though, I've got no shortage of first drafts that need polishing right now.  It's probably for the best I work on some of those for a while.

And the rest of you?

No comments: