Thursday, November 6, 2008

The announcement

Well first things first, the logjam broke. I'm writing. Now if I can just write 6937 words Friday, I'll be caught up. Ha! It's possible, I suppose that I'll get caught up. We'll see.

Anyhow the announcement is this: We are having a special contest starting tomorrow and ending on December 2.

One of the things we want to to do here is increase the size of our community, and broaden the scope of it a little. For example, I will be doing book reviews here pretty soon, and hope others will join in.

Another thing is that I hope to have some guest judges come around, and to be able to offer some more excellent prizes.

To do this, I'm going to send out some New Year's cards to some of the hipper publishers and writers out there right now to encourage them to come by and see us, and participate.

And so, I challenge you to come up with a New Year's card that can be sent by standard lettermail. The goal is to grab attention and make them curious enough to drop by and/or drop us a line.

I will be prevailing on a friend with graphic design skills to help lay out the final version, and our friend Jill has offered to assist me in printing and mailing the cards out to people.

It's possible that these cards will need to, instead, be mailed in the spring, so you can feel free to entirely avoid mention of the holiday season.

I know that we have some great minds here at the site, and I am confident that we can come up with something awesome. This contest has a prize in the form of my gratitude, and something else TBD.

I want textFIGHT to grow and flourish. Help me, won't you.

By the way, folks, can I just say way to go on the way you've been handling each other with NaNoWriMo? I know we pretend this site is a pit of savage vipers, but you have embraced the spirit of this particular contest as a great big warm hug of support and I'm actually kind of moved at how readily you've stepped in to encourage alternatives, just so long as we keep at it.

I'm feeling surprising warm and fuzzy today, considering I'm a vile and hate-flled person.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I have a great way you can save money and send cards to 1 or 100 in less than 5 mins. It's called Send Out Cards.

Visit my blog and hit the link to send 2 cards for free right now and try out the system.

Best of luck with your venture.

Tim

Anonymous said...

You forgot bitter....

anyway... mmmm ellipsis....

I have sent verbal invitations to two people (with the link in email shortly after) and I know one is a lurker now, the other fellow said he may take a crack in the new year.

Peace out

JF.