Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sigh

I surrender.

For reasons that are many and varied, and some which are just too personal to discuss, I give up. This is, apparently, not the right time of the year for me to do this.

After the thrill of the 3-Day Novel Contest, I had no no doubt at all that I would be able to do NaNoWriMo. I suspect i may have gotten a little cocky. At this point though, I know that my book isn't ready to write. With the many and varied stresses I'm currently trying to deal with I may as well just pack it in, feel a little bad about it, and let go of the grief of admitting I failed.

I will try, instead, in February, to perform the same feat of 50000 words in 28 days. By then I'll be employed...one way or the other...and my life should be both more settled and less stressful.

I'm sorry to punk out on you all, but the added guilt and stress of having fallen so far behind was weighing on me more than I liked. I'm still here to cheerlead for you who are swinging at it either directly or in some altered form.

And if nothing else, I like to think we persuaded G to do this, and now look, she's the one who is actually making it happen. Yay!

So that's that. Sorry.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even at the 25,000 word halfway point yet, so let's not assume I'm making it happen. I'll do my best and we'll see.

February is probably a good month in which to do the novel in a month thing. Unless you're in university, it's usually a pretty dull month.

G-

Anonymous said...

Also, let's not assume I'm writing anything remotely good.

G-

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Hey, you could always join the PseudoNaNoWriMo crew and say you're going to write, say, 10,000 words this month on the novel. Or mix it up and include other kinds of words and revisions as well (I'm thinking working on the 3-day novel, perhaps?) in your talley like I am...It amazes me how much it pumps up my energy to be able to count those revised pages in my talley. You could even include background-research and outline output for your upcoming novel if you really wanted to be daring...

After that you could go on to do the NaNoWriMo thing full-scale in February.

Come on, you know you want to join the PseudoNaNoWriMo crew... :)

Unknown said...

G-

As it happens, what you're writing is pretty good so far.

But as we know, this isn't about the quality. It's about just doing it.

Deb-

I'm trying to think it through as to what I want to do. Right now, I just want to focus my attention on getting a frickin' job.

I think the book needs to bake a bit more...but revising the 3-Day is not a bad idea.

mmrilla said...

ryan: It's the no job thing that really sucks the creative juice out of you doesn't it. I feel like I need to spend eighty per cent of the day looking for work and getting my resume refined and whatnot. Then, the waiting for rejection or acceptance is soul-draining in its own way. It's hard to give in other places while I'm concerned with finding a job. All my giving is going out into the world.

The poems, though, seem to be a good idea... for me at least.

Gordon said...

Ryan,
"Your beautiful...". Seriously, success and growth rarely go hand in hand. Let us both call this a growing experience, be proud of whatever we manage to accomplish, and be even more proud of the fact that we have not yet snapped and gone on a mass killing spree. So go get some poison from the poison store, take some time to gather your thoughts, remember that some of us love you (in our own mentally unbalanced ways), and try to be happy. I know, it takes a lot of work somedays. But don't worry dude, we got your back.

-Gordon

Anonymous said...

Prep something for the Telling stone as well... I mean, if you are not writing your novella, the least you can do is write something for the contest you didn't bother posting anything for (partially because of the imminent not written novella).

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

See, it's all about getting SOMETHING done, writing-wise, even if it's not the something you wanted to get done originally, that's what I say. ;)