Monday, September 7, 2009

Anticlimax

All that remains of the story now, is the denouement. Tom goes back to his normal life, but with maybe the hint of a notion he might have some grown-up responsibilities to look after.
I think my biggest worry with this book is that I rather deliberately did a lot of buildup to a mystery that IS NOT revealed. Instead, as is often the case, somebody does something stupid, and a lot of bodies hit the floor.
Tom sort of just crawls away like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs after the Mexican Standoff, and runs away.

I worry that people are going to feel a little ripped off, but that's kind of the point of the book in a couple of ways 1) the mysteries are better when we just see little glimpses of them and 2) sometimes excitement and involvement are overrated and it really is better to just have a happy little life.

I guess we'll see. I should be finished by 8, and then I can spend a few hours tightening and cleaning it up, and killing loose ends I dropped and did nothing with.

So there's that.

No comments: