Thursday, September 18, 2008

And the Winnah!!

The winner, with 18 votes, of Astronaut Knife Fight is, I'm not surprised, rookie heavyweight Gordon Jensen. I couldn't be prouder. I spent hours with this kid as he worked the noun and verb bags, sparring with any two bit wordsmith who'd step into the ring with him. I've watched him sharpen his pencil and build his vocabulary. I've seen his skill grow.

Most importantly, I've seen the kid WANT it.

Eye of the Tyger, as Billy-boy Blake said after his title match with the Red Dragon of the Abyss.

So, it gives me great pleasure to award him his prizes.

1) Free board in scenic Edmonton this coming weekend, and the opportunity to "hone his craft" (nudge nudge) in workshop with 3 Day Novel contest finalist Ms. Gayleen Froese.

2) I'll probably buy him dinner.

3) Also he gets to declare the idea for, the rules, and the method of determining victory for the next textFIGHT challenge. That will come next week. We'll talk it over this weekend. I expect it will be a doozy.

To all the other contestants, suck it. You lost. Losers.

That is all.

8 comments:

cenobyte said...

Damn it. I bet it was the Barbie thing, wasn't it? Stupid Barbie store on the moon.

Anonymous said...

Damn the prize pool has increased from the initial bouts. I might have actually tried if I knew there was more than the stress of making up a contest (I know I was starting to get tapped out by the end, but I may have been the only one with the number I needed to come up with).

Gordon said...

What's this heavyweight crap? Are you calling me fat? I'm so upset I need to go eat a tub of Rocky Road ice cream...

-Gordon

Anonymous said...

Since when was talking to me a prize? I assure you, these days, it is the opposite. I think there was some misrepresentation in that prize package.

G-

Anonymous said...

Also, to be very clear, there will be no "honing of craft." NONE.

G-

Gordon said...

In general I prefer to hone my own craft... I never expect me to snuggle afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Also, when you hone your own craft, you never do anything you don't want you to do.

G-

Gordon said...

And I don't have to worry about getting a penial fracture again because someone else doesn't take directions well. Too personal?

-Gordon