Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jill Joins In

Jill offers this little work of malice.

⁃ LAUNCH SEQUENCE INITIATED -

“Scott, what have you done!?”
“I didn't do anything!”
“The launch sequence is initiated; what do you mean you didn't do anything?”
“I mean, I didn't do anything. I was just sitting here, and it said that.”
“If by 'it', you mean the main engines and computer system, and 'said that', you mean self-initiated, you're insinuating that the computer has suddenly gained sentience and has elected to send us off into space, on its own, without any regeneration of fuel stores. Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?”
“Well...uh...yeah.”
“You must have bumped something, or somehow set off the autopilot. Flip that cover off.”
“Really, I didn't touch anything. I was just sitting here and...”
“Flip that cover off! We have to cancel the sequence!”

⁃ NAVIGATION SYSTEMS ONLINE -

“Flip the damned cover! Jesus! I'll do it myself.”
“No! I was going to...”
“Look, you don't know what you're doing. Just...just sit over there and try bypassing the routine to the engine systems.”

⁃ FUEL STORES INSUFFICIENT. ACCESSING AUXILIARY FUEL -

“Scott, hurry it up; you've only got about ten minutes until ignition. Use the manual override.”
“I can't. I'm locked out.”
“Then for Chrissakes, get back there and do it manually!”
“I've entered the shutdown sequence to the mainframe, so that should buy us some time.”
“Good. This is going to be asking for the codes, so make sure your com link is active. This bloody cover is jammed.”
“There's a jack-knife in the first aid kit above your head.”
“I know where the damned first aid kit is! Just go!”

⁃ AUXILIARY FUEL LOCATED. ACCESSING...-

“Damn...this thing won't...what the hell is that?”
# Terry, there's a problem back here.#
“What the hell is that?”
# The engine room door is all covered with some kind of ...I don't know...they look like welds. I'm going to try to cut through them.#
“The bloody knife won't come out.”
# Repeat?#
“No, there's this shit all over the emergency shutdown control. I can't get the cover off. And now the blade is stuck. What *is* this stuff?”
# Condensation, maybe? Ice?#
“That's pretty tenacious ice; I can't even wiggle the knife free. You have it too?”
#Affirmative. All over the door.#
“There! Fuck!”
“Repeat?”
“I just fucking cut myself. But I got the cover off. I'm going to initiate emergency shutdown protocol. You got your codes?”
“Affirmative.”

⁃ AUXILIARY FUEL ACCESSED. REROUTING LINES. PLEASE STAND BY. -

“How's it going?”

“Scott?”

“Damn it Scott. Copy!”

“Scott! ...come on, come on...cancel initiation sequence. Piece of crap...”

⁃ FUEL LINES REROUTED. INITIALIZING ENGINE STARTUP

“Scott, I think I almost have the... What do you mean 'initiation sequence not found'? Cancel initiation sequence, you stupid piece of junk!”

⁃ INITIATION SEQUENCE INTERRUPTED. CANCEL INITIATION SEQUENCE?-

“Yes! YES! Cancel the goddamned initiation sequence!”

⁃ INPUT FLIGHT CAPTAIN'S SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE-

“Flight captain's security clearance code: one-oh-delta-seven-seven-foxtrot-whiskey.”

⁃ FLIGHT CAPTAIN'S SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE CONFIRMED. INPUT FLIGHT CAPTAIN'S INITIATION SEQUENCE PASSCODE.-

“Flight captain's initiation sequence passcode:”
#Terry, I finally managed to cut through this bitch. #
“Damn it, Scott, shut up!”

⁃ PASSCODE INCORRECT. INPUT FLIGHT CAPTAIN'S INITIATION PASSCODE. -

“Flight captain's initiation sequence passcode:”
#Repeat?#

⁃ PASSCODE INCORRECT. INPUT FLIGHT CAPTAIN'S INITIATION PASSCODE.-

“Flight captian's initiation sequence passcode: Sylvia.”
#Repeat?#
“For Chrissake, Scott, shut up! I finally got in. I'm entering the codes. You got your codes?”
#Affirmative.#

⁃ INPUT ENGINEER'S SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE -

“...Scott? You got your codes?”
#Affirmative.#

⁃ INCORRECT SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE. INPUT ENGINEER'S SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE.-

“...SCOTT! INPUT YOUR FUCKING CLEARANCE CODE!”

⁃ INCORRECT SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE. INPUT ENGINEER'S SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE.-

#...november-four-hotel-two-two#

⁃ INCORRECT SECURITY CLEARANCE CODE. EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN CANCELLED. INITIALISING ENGINES.-

“SCOTT! You fucked it up! You better have access to the manual shutdown, you fucking grease monkey!”
#...eat?#

“THE MANUAL FUCKING SHUTDOWN, DICKHEAD! SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!”
#...ant...communications down...electrical... ...copy?#

⁃ ENGINES INITIALISED. STAND BY FOR IGNITION.-

“Cancel initiation sequence!”

⁃ INITIATION SEQUENCE ENGAGED. STAND BY FOR IGNITION.-

“Cancel the fucking ignition! Cancel initiation sequence! Scott! I'm coming back there! The com controls are fubar.”
#...release the main... ...ting connection... ...copy?#
“I'm coming back there!”

⁃ IGNITION IN THREE MINUTES -

“Stupid fuck. ....do it myself...”

⁃ IGNITION IN TWO MINUTES -

“Scott, what the hell's going on? I've been screaming at you to shut it the fuck down for the last minute and a half.”
“Oh, hey Terry. Yeah, it took a while to get through that weird stuff on the door. Hey, look at this...”
“Just pull the damned wires to the engine room if you have to. We have to shut down this launch until the fuel coupling is set, or it's going to leak all over the place, and we won't have enough thrust to...what are you doing?”
“I'm telling you to come over here and look at this.”
“Scott, we don't have time for this shit. Just disengage the power to the....Scott! What the...you crazy fuck!”
“I SAID, Terry, come. Over. Here. And. Look. At. This.”
“What the hell is wrong with you? You cut me, you crazy fuck!”
“Terry, you have to come here and see this.”
“I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to disengage the power coupling and you're going to cool the shit down.”
“What, you're going to saw your way through me with a scalpel? We're not disengaging anything. Now come here.”

⁃ IGNITION IN ONE MINUTE-

“Scott! Jesus! ...ungh.... fuck...I can't... jesus...Scott....”
“Can't shut it down, Terry. I can still stop you, even with only one working arm. But you don't have to do this; just come here and....”
“emergency...control...mayday....control...it's too soon...”
“We have just enough fuel to get us where we're going. Why don't you just lie there for a while, Terry? I'll show you this in a minute. Just wait until all your blood's finished running; then you'll understand.”

⁃ ENGINES ARE GO FOR LIFTOFF. -

“Commence.”

No comments: