Monday, September 8, 2008

The Feedback Quandry

As a writer, I want people's honest opinions when they are reading my book to help me revise. I recognize that this may sting horribly. It's part of the cost of doing business.

It's a hell of a hard thing to do, though. You feel like a total asshole when you do it. Because of this, I tend to only give real critiques to people and works that warrant them.

As a result, to me, the worst thing to hear from someone is "I liked it. It was okay." Even if they are sincere, it sounds to me like someone being too nice to say that they hated it, or that it just bored them. I have said these things, damn my black heart. I prefer to say simply, "It wasn't for me". Which is often true, and no statement of judgment past that.

My Mom, for example. She didn't like the book much. I'm okay with that, honestly. I'm not sure a) that it's any good either, and b) that if it were, it would be her cup of tea.

I'd vastly prefer knowing what she didn't like so that I can either say to myself, "Okay, this is a matter of taste", or "Okay, I need to fix that."

So I will take the pain that comes from honest critique with as much grace as I can, because it is so essential to my process.

So, if you have my book, please do tell me what you liked. Tell me also what you don't like. I need that.

Also, if you've asked for my critique, and I've savaged you, please understand that it's a sign of my commitment to your work, and my respect for you. It's too damned awkward for me to waste the effort on purest drek.

I've held two good friends and good writers down in the last couple of months and pointed out the ways in which I think their babies are ugly as hell, and I'm feeling a little raw about it. With a soupçon of guilt and fear.

It's the Golden Rule at work. And it sucks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When people say something just wasn't for them, assuming that was their honest response, I don't want further feedback. Not because I'm upset or don't respect them--actually, I'm a big fan of "it wasn't my thing" and I wish more people had the insight to say it.

It's just that I find feedback most useful when it comes from someone who has some sympathy with what I'm trying to do and is therefore trying to help me get there. I still might agree or disagree with their comments, but at least I'll know that we're on the same page (ha! I am humourous!) about what the book should become.

Every blue moon you'll run across someone who knows a wide range of genres and styles well enough to say, "I hate western romance novels about people with six fingers on one hand, but I can see you're writing one, and here's where you missed the mark in that respect." But that's a rare skill.

G-

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

I like Vinita Hampton Wright's multi-level list of feedback questions, varying depending on how "done" you feel the project is. But realistically, I usually ask a common set of questions, along the lines of:
"When were you most engaged in the story?"
"Were there any points at which your interest flagged or that jarred you unpleasantly as a reader? If so, why?"
"Were there any places you felt I told you too much or too little?"
"What did you appreciate most and least about the story?"

That sort of thing takes the reader off the hook towards telling you outright whether it sucked, and gives them concrete ways for you to know what to improve.

(BTW, still thinking on whether I'm willing to review. Probably yes, but not right away. I'll email you when I'm closer to being ready to do it.)

Unknown said...

Sure. At your pace. Everyone (except me) has busy lives. I get that. :)

Wow. A job could come along annnny time now, world.

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. I'd be glad to share some of my homework, but sadly it's considered unethical. If you'd like to take a glance at my novel manuscript, I could always use a set of fresh eyes on it. :)

Unknown said...

I'll swap you. :)

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Had a feeling you'd say that. :) I'll be in touch when my acteth is together.