Monday, September 1, 2008

I have done writ me a fuckin book

Just shy of 33,000 words, I have finished the story I set out to tell.

I'm not sure that the last of the flashback segments is what you'd call satisfactory, but I'll do what I can to fix that before midnight.

The last of the segments set in the here and more or less tomorrow, I think I'm happy with.

I believe I'm gonna let Destine inside and cuddle her some. Then I'ma drink a whole bottle of de-alcoholized champagne while I set to the task of revising and polishing. I have, by my reckoning, near on five hours to do that.

This is the second longest piece of prose I have ever finished. That's a little shameful, actually. Considering the circumstances, though, I'm happy.

Once I get it buffed up, I may decide to leave it as is, and use it, eventually as part of my collection of shorter Sel Souris related pieces.

I was as surprised at the very ending of the modern day segments as anyone. Harry pulled one on me I did not see coming. That might be my favourite thing in the world when that happens.

I'll keep you posted on the revisions.

I was honestly worried I didn't have it in me, but as of this moment, both Rilla and I have met the challenge of the weekend.

And if she were here, she could have some of my champagne.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, to both of you. We're still at it, and just broke out the toy piano.

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Congrats! And if you have a few words left in you, drop by my blog and drop a few words about the speed-writing experience...

Cori Quite Contrary said...

Congratulations to both of you! That's an extraordinary accomplishment.

mmrilla said...

Thanks for all the congrats. I'm quite pleased that I'm done.