Saturday, August 30, 2008

A change is as good as a rest.

I am taking a break here to play with my awesome dogs, and to feed them some leftover perogies which has made them extremely happy.

I am then going to go over what I've written today and tighten it up. Then I'm going to go over it and see what I can save from the original outline. Most of it, I think.

I am finally getting to the cool and hopefully scary parts of the book, and I'm looking forward to it. I am aiming for 15,000 words before bed, and I think I can do that easily.

My deepest flaw as a writer is how damned rough my rough drafts are. So I want a lot of time to fix it before the contest is over.

One thing I have learned is that I must be a much lazier writer than I thought. I have not found this especially trying so far. Just time consuming. Mind you I did spend close to a month going over it in my head, so my head is, if you'll pardon the term, pre-filled with cool scenes.

My one fear right now is that what I've written is not that interesting. The book starts with an opening chapter I'm proud of. It's followed with back story for Harry is important to the overall shape of his life, and which informs the decisions he makes. I just worry that I will lose my readers on the back story.

Time will tell. I can't afford to hesitate for long.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At least I think that's my deepest flaw.

I have a lot of them, really.

Anonymous said...

I miss my awesome dogs. Though Scully the cat is awesome. And Milo has awesomely decided that I might not be a mass murderer of dogs.
G-

Unknown said...

Apparently perogies do not compete with chocolate cupcakes. Spenser is awfully envious of that, and the Coke Slurpee I am drinking. This was an awesome suggestion from Ms. Cori May as a refreshing snack.

So totally true.