Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tiny Insignificant Detail

I don't have a title. This, I assumed, would work itself out as I wrote this week-end. However, we're in the midst of coming up with a title for the team-effort book, and it is taking a long time. When I had originally come up with the concept, I was going to call it The Dahlia Chronicles, and it would be a bit of a serial thing. I'm not so much interested in the concept of a series. It's exhausting. Plus, I only think I can really follow her along for this one adventure. So, if it's not going to be The Dahlia Chronicles, what's it going to be?

Keep the Change

Dahlia works at a bank, so there's a bit of a money theme to the work. Also, the plot-twist with the little god is related to change that is supposed to occur, but doesn't.

In Bloom

The main character and her partner in crime are both named after flowers: Dahlia and Jasmine. Since part of the theme of the work is about empowerment and being alive and vivacious, it's in keeping with the flavour of the text.

The Smoulder Candidate

Early in the book, Dahlia uncovers the cultist plot by finding a file with her name on it and "candidate for smoulder" written on it. The plot follows Dahlia figuring out what this means, who Smoulder is, and what exactly it means to be his candidate.

When Dahlia Met Jasmine

Obviously a rip-off of When Harry Met Sally, but I kind of like it anyway.

Other

If you can come up with something better, I'd be pleased as punch.

Since we all love the democratic process, there will be a poll in the sidebar shortly. Vote on the title you like best. If you vote "Other" you should give me your suggestion in the comments of this very post.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like The Smoulder Candidate, but I also think you should wait until it's written and then decide on a title.

G-

Unknown said...

I voted for The Smoulder Candidate as well. And I think you should keep the title even if it means throwing out everything else. Write the book to match the title.

So I like it.

Would be the point.

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest and say that I don't feel any of them fit well with what you've discussed about your book so far.

While I like the title "Smoulder Candidate" the best, I'm not sure it evokes this book to me. I would keep it for another project. It is good.

I'm sure the right one will become obvious to you as the book comes to life.

Anonymous said...

A very popular romance-type novelist wrote a book called "Blue Dahlia" a few years ago, so unless you want to purposefully evoke that, I'd leave Dahlia out of the title (although I think it's a fantastic name for a character). I also like The Smoulder Candidate. Or, just call it Small Dark God?

-Em

mmrilla said...

ryan and G: I like the Smoulder Candidate too, but I keep thinking Manchurian Candidate whenever I hear it.

the ms. s: I feel ya there. I have the sense that one or two of the titles are CLOSE to what I want, but not exactly perfect. I hope I have a brilliant flash of insight.

Em: I was thinking about the "Small Dark god" think, but it takes the focus away from the women, and onto an unknown. I'm feeling awfully wishy-washy about the whole thing. Some day I may need to write several dozen pages on the meaning of my title, and I better have a good one ;)

(Don't you LOVE it when authors do that?!)

Unknown said...

Resonance with "The Manchurian Candidate" are part of what makes it such a good title.

It sounds really "intriguey" and then you scan it again, and you go, "The whatnow candiwhat?"

It makes me want to read the book.

None of the other titles suggested even come close.

Unknown said...

I've changed my mind. I like "Suggest in Comments" as a title now.

Giddy.