Monday, August 18, 2008

In A Flap

I organized my day so that I would have the afternoon to begin sorting through my outline. With the afternoon a total of 25 minutes away, I can already sense my hesitation becoming greater. I may have done a very foolish thing.

I decided to set my book in the 1920s. Why? Well, because I wanted my main character to be a flapper. I like flappers. I see them as my foremothers in their free spiritedness and their beginnings of independence. It's not the true 1920s though because I've got a supernatural aspect to the novel, and this is freeing in its own way. I don't have to worry about who the President was, or who was plotting what war because its not going to matter. The research freak in me is telling me that this is horrible and that I'm setting myself up for an overly complicated setting about which I know very little. I don't know what slang they would use, or what flapper culture was really like. Did they get along with each other? Was there the beginnings of a sisterhood there? Would flappers go out alone or in packs?

I DON'T KNOW.

And it scares the living shit out of me that I've decided to write this book because I DON'T KNOW. I only shout to emphasize that I'm up shit creek here. No paddle in sight.

So, here's my plan: I'm going to forge ahead with the outline anyway. Once the outline is complete, I'll start with the research because I'll have a sense of what aspects of flapper culture will become important, and what parts I don't really need. Then, I'll swallow my fear and let my imagination just do its thing. If there are glaring inaccuracies when it's finished, I really have to let that go because it's not really the 1920s anyway. It's the 1920s in my world, which I want to make a little more interesting, a little more seedy, and a lot more weird.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Flappers? Really?

Hmm.

I think the hardest part about writing in the twenties is the ways in which society was so much less humane. Racist, sexist, elitist, yech.

I mean, I know those things still exist, but they are frowned on officially these days.

I have a hard time with fiction that chooses to ignore these problems. Unless, of course, the fiction is set entirely in a social circle where nobody is likely to encounter such filthy people as Catholics and Negroes.

I advise some research on flappers. I don't think it was so much a culture as a fashion statement that they were Done With Petticoats. Other than that, I think it was the usual Jazz age hedonism and drinking.

Watch out for lounge lizards.

Cori Quite Contrary said...

I also love flappers, and I do think that while some of it was hedonism and drinking, that there was a lot more to it than that. This is the time when women began to get the vote, for example. Women began to stretch their wings, seek out careers as an alternative to marriage (necessary when men were in such short supply), and it could be said that cutting your hair and wearing clothes that allowed you to move more freely was just a sign of things to come.

I agree that research will probably be helpful. You should watch Upstairs Downstairs and the House of Elliot, as well.

Anonymous said...

Of course, as women were getting more freedom of movement by losing their corsets, they also began to corset themselves through dieting. Out of one cage and into another.

G-

mmrilla said...

I've got to really think more about what aspects of the 1920s I need to make my flapper culture fit. Since the novel is going to be about upsetting the status quo, I think it will be a stronger novel if I highlight a bit of the darker parts of the time.

I've got a whole post about it lurking in my head, but it's not quite ready to come out yet.