Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rilla Joins The 3-Day Novel Contest

Last year was the first time I had heard any mention of The 3-Day Novel Contest. My friend Gayleen was participating in the televised version and it was all very exciting and frightening all at once. I was intrigued, but I didn't have any ideas for a novel, and I was in the midst of trying to finish my M.A. in English. The stars were not aligned.

This year, I have the percolation of a novel in my brain. To make matters even better, I've been working on a creative team to write a novel, so I feel like those little coffee drippings that are steadily turning me into a pot of hot and bother could actually turn into an interesting work of my very own.

(I can make any metaphor work, but it's not pretty)

So when The Rook started talking about his own entry into The 3-Day Novel Contest, I figured that it was a good time to give this a shot (of espresso... see? Any Metaphor). Unlike The Rook, I don't have a plethora of ideas already in mind. I basically have one idea. No. I have one character that I've been thinking about for a year or so. I also have her nemesis and a plot twist. But that's all.

The down side of this whole thing is that the timing is a bit rough. Our editing team is slated to finish our novel at the end of August, so I'm sure that I'll be involved in a work push at just the right time to mess with the 3-Day Novel Contest. I think that the spirit of the contest, though, is that there will always be something to prevent a writer from working on his or her dreams, but it's time to pick a time and get some writing done. So, I'm going to do just that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ril, you are a bit insane, but in a good way. Good luck! I'm sure you'll come out of it with a great experience. I'm still gearing up to do the novel-in-a-month thing at some point, though November is the absolutely worst time for a grad student, so I wish they'd do it in the summer...

mmrilla said...

Novel in a month, you say. If I survive the 3-Day novel, I'll think about joining you. November is usually NaBloPoMo... I wonder if I can do both?

Unknown said...

This is my plan as well. I am doing the 3-Day and NaNoWriMo.

I am bound and fucking determined to write my ass off before the end of the year.

mmrilla said...

I'm hoping that my contract will be extended and I'll be continuing with another novel as part of a team in November. If I'm not though, I'll be working at a new job, or looking for another job... If the cards are right, I'm willing to see if I've got another book in me.