Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Human Factor

Let it be known that the Kaz has some reservations about being called the human factor.


My biggest concerns about the 3-Day Novel Contest is whether or not I can continue to be a decent human being to Kaz while in the midst of writing. I'm not sure about what this is going to do to my mental capabilities, whether the challenge will inspire me to greater heights, or whether I'll turn into uber-bitch lady. I don't particularly want to be that grumpy person who snaps at every noise, but this is a pretty tight deadline. Some might say it's an insane deadline that will thus spark insanity.

So, this is a bit of a reality check on my part -- a little reminder about my priorities and what lines are where. If it comes to the point where stress turns me into a bad spouse, I want to have the guts to walk away for as long as it takes to put things right. I hope I'm a kind enough person that this is unneccessary worrying on my part, but I honestly am not sure what sort of tricks my brain will play on me this week-end.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It probably won't be as bad you think. I thought I was going to start breathing fire `round about Sunday afternoon, especially with the zero down time and zero alone time and sleeping in a room full of people, and how famously *fond* of people I tend to be... but actually I was half in my book even when I wasn't writing and it was oddly peaceful a lot of the time.

G-

Unknown said...

I think that you just need to make it known to Kaz that you are going to be a cranky, evil hosebeast. He knew you were a writer when this started, and people who love and live with writers had better learn to deal with long periods of neglect.

Your only concern for the three days of the contest is your book. Without that level of commitment, you haven't got a prayer. This I know.

That said, there is always time to hug someone and say, "I'm sorry I am being a hosebeast. Now leave me to continue in my my hosebeastery."

You will be fine, and so will he.

I confess that I am going to be a very bad pet owner for the weekend. I am more or less intending to hide in my room where Spenser cannot find and bother me to play tug.

This does give me some guilt, and I'm sure that at some point he will give me a look that causes Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" to play in my minds eye.

Desi will be fine. Spenser, on the other hand will be dealing with not only G's absence but my being less likely to lavish him with love and attention than usual.

Not to equate Kaz with a large playful German Shepherd.

Actually, no, that's fine.

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm now quite interested in how you keep an all-white kitchen that clean.

G-

mmrilla said...

Re: White Kitchen.

We can't keep it clean. For one, it's all white. For two, we hate cleaning. It's usually pretty gross.

Anonymous said...

It looks good in the picture. Mind you, my house often mysteriously improves in photos. I find it far easier to clean my house in Photoshop than in real life.

G-