Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Mood

So, I've been reading book after book after book to try and get myself in the right place to tell the story of Silver Bullets. It's not been useless, as it's filled me chock full of interesting little details and certainly my grasp on the overall history of the time is better. It hasn't, however, dropped me into the right place emotionally.

I'm not very surprised. Usually, I get inspired emotionally when major breakthroughs come in the plot, and also from the music I choose to have on as I write. Usually, I know when a song is right or wrong for my little soundtrack. I can't explain why, or what the criteria are, but they are there nonetheless.

For some reason the songs I've been listening to while I do the outline stopped being just pleasant background, and I began to really hear them. It's made all the difference. One of the songs in particular has brought me so totally into my book that it's like a kind of magic.

The song is called He Lays In The Reins. It's a collaboration between Sam Beam of Iron and Wine and Calexico. That last band makes several appearances on my soundtrack, but this song in particular has moved me.

Lyrics can be found online. A lovely live performance of the song can be found as well.

This song is so perfect that it almost means I don't need to write the book. That's the thing I hate about music of course. You can write a three minute song with the emotional impact of a full novel. It's not fair.

But I do love it.

And I'll take inspiration and assistance wherever I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About murder ballads, which you were discussing a few posts back... I think we have Nick Cave's Murder Ballads in iTunes.

You might also want to check out the Willard Grant Conspiracy stuff I've just added to iTunes--in particular, The Trials of Harrison Hayes.

G-, who also loves a good writing soundtrack and has trouble working without one

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Handsome Family's If the World Should End in Ice and If the World Should End in Fire. I like to start a soundtrack with one and end it with the other.

Oh, and don't forget that I bought Jim White's new album at the Folk Festival and that's now in iTunes as well. Crash Into the Sun has Laura Veirs on it.

G-