Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Plot Twist(s)

So, I did my outline, just like I said I would. I have 15 chapters, and at an average of 2000 words per chapter that will sit me at a good length for the novel(la). I was expecting one particular plot twist because I had figured it out from the start. Why don't you meet him.
This is my Small Dark god. The image was created by Grymm the Pleasant last year when I was throwing the idea for this book around. He and I talked about the development of the novel a lot at the time, and he drew this up as inspiration.

So, this is basically the supernatural aspect. How is he a plot twist? Well, the main characters are going to expect him to be one way: an evil overlord of chaos. But really, he's not so much about that. There will be some shenanigans with a summoning and a sacrifice, and things will start to unravel for our antagonists pretty quickly. I'm not 100% satisfied with the methods that I've got outlined, but I've got a few more days to come up with something better. In my head, I can see the plot twist coming a mile away, and I think the way I've written it up, it'll be pretty obvious that things are not going to go well for my villains. I want it to be more of a surprise, so I might have to tinker with the outline a bit more before I'm satisfied.

The second plot twist, was a total surprise for me. I realized that I needed another main character to help move the action along, so I created a research type girl to help Dahlia figure out the situation with my little god. Then there were some lesbian dynamics that I wasn't prepared for at all, but I rolled with it, and I think it really adds something to the spirit of the book. I always imagined Dahlia being this really awesome free-spirited, intelligent, kick-ass kind of woman, but my other character, Jasmine, has all of this self-confidence that Dahlia was somehow lacking: A quieter assurance of self, that is also entangled in her sexual identity. So, there you have it.

A book that I had original envisioned being about a flapper who kicks ass and befriends a little god is actually about a flapper who kicks ass by overthrowing the status quo, not only in a supernatural way, but also in a very concrete societal way.

Surprise!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That drawing is adorable.

I think it's neat that we're both writing supernatural historicals, and that both feature little gods in one aspect or the other.

Anonymous said...

One thing that I had envisioned that a static drawing can't show is that the corona should be moving. I can't remember if it was supposed to be constantly bubbling off and slowly fading from reality as it got darker and darker, or if it was coming into existence dark and flowing into him.

Anonymous said...

I am so intrigued. The ‘20s have always seemed to me to be a time not only of jazz and hedonism, but also a time when creativity and erudition were celebrated as important attributes of a civilized society. Your characters sound tres interesting as well. I have no doubt you will come up with something awesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and his eyes are supposed to be full of churning balefire.

Unknown said...

Oh, Grymm...with you it's always balefire...

mmrilla said...

1) That god *is* adorable balefire or not.

2) I hope I can come up with something awesome.

3) I still have not come up with anything more original for my plot twist.