Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ryan gets on board.

    I'm a lazy writer.  I admit this freely.  It's a bad habit.  I have, in the last year, finally finished a novel.  It's something of a miracle, really.  I want to keep the momentum going.  I like being productive.  It's a much better feeling than that feeling I get laying in bed at nights thinking of the hundred or so stories and novels I have in progress.  That feeling is called shame.
So, that's one reason to do the 3-Day Novel Contest.
     There's another reason, though, even if it's futile.
It's a dick thing.
        My roommate is Gayleen Froese.  She entered the contest last year, as Rilla mentioned above, and she was part of the televised version.  While anyone can do this from anywhere in the world, Gayleen was selected to be one of twelve people who did this on television.  There was a separate winner for the show, and we can't discuss who that was yet, as the show hasn't yet aired due to network shakeups.  However, Gayleen made the shortlist in the overall contest.  She was the only contestant on the show to do so.
Gayleen and I are competitive, in a friendly way.  Mostly.
So, I pretty much have to win.
Even if I shortlist, she'll be going on and on about how she shortlisted while having cameras pointed up her nose, and being bothered by the producers, and having to lose three hours a day for little reality show challenges.  She has a point.
So, the only way I can get remotely close to beating her is to win the whole thing.  Even then, she'll probably still talk about the cameras.
But I have to try.  What would I be if i didn't try?
   Mature, probably.
But, you know what?  I'll take it.  Any excuse to push myself to write that many words in a short period of time.
Gayleen, by the way, has agreed to answer any questions people might have about the contest, and to offer her advice.  Send any questions to textfight@gmail.com.
Tomorrow, I will tell you about my plans for the contest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And showering in a hotel. And sleeping in an IKEA bunk bed in a room with eleven other people, some of whom, who are Gordon, snore.

And without internet access, which is a plus if you're trying to concentrate, but not so good if you need the name of a river that runs through both Siberia and Mongolia, and has taiman in it. Or if you need the German word for voodoo.

The Amur, by the way. And Wodu.

G-

Unknown said...

Yeah yeah yeah.

Bitch bitch bitch.

Anonymous said...

You needed the internet to know about the Amur? It also exposes some really interesting formations, which are comparable in age to my localities. The type specimens of Quereuxia come from those.

Why haven't you suggested that Gayleen even the field to what she did if it matters to you in that competition... like stealing your keyboard for a few hours a day, shoving a camera in your face and assorted other little tactics... which I can happily suggest as I will not be the one doing it and can suggest it jokingly from 600 km away.

Unknown said...

Gayleen, happily, will be away for the weekend. She doesn't, I'm sure, need to spen any time distracting me. I'm working from home. This means that I will have the Internet and several pets to distract me.

Considering how easily distracted I am by the internet, I'm already probably doomed.

But I'm sure as shit going to try.

It costs 50 bucks to join, and that's a fair amount of money to me right now. I"D FEEL REALLY STUPID IF I didn't at least finish.

Anonymous said...

"You needed the internet to know about the Amur? "

We're not all paleobotanists, freak boy.

G-